Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hearing Signing Psychologist(s) should write the Deaf Mental Health books?


For Deaf psychologists Candance McCullough and Sharon Duchesneau. Again many Deaf/HH vloggers too.

Do you think the hearing signing psychologist(s) should write the books about the Deaf Mental health? What do you think? In my opinion, I don't think it is a good idea because ........ here is my vlog concerning comment. Any comments if you already read his book(s). I will NOT read his books and never will.  Any questions or inputs -- ask away!

Both are hearing signing psychologists. Also, you can search their name through the Google.com



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank for bring that up. I agreed with u 100% that hearing should not write about deaf when they have no contact or understand deaf patients and their culture. U are not the only one that make noise, I personally have been making the same noise for years and nothing is improve. I definitely thank for Candy and Sharon who are deaf and they are one of the best psychotherapists for the deaf and HoH and even for hearing who know ASL. I knew because I was and am there..no question about it! I want u to know that I continue to make noise about this situation and hope for better access and service for the deaf and HoH in MHS any time soon bec we deserve it!!!

Squ65 said...

Yes Salliemae --- Deaf/HH/Coda psychologists a must -- I still have a nitemare from that guy. Thanks for bringing this up. Deaf and Mental Health must be seen!

ASCDEAF said...

This is an important question and one that has been asked by members of
other minority groups as well.

You can see a previous ASC vlog here: http://www.ascdeaf.com/blog/?p=323.
The basic principles related to hearing researchers studying Deaf people
also apply to hearing psychologists writing about Deaf people and mental
health. While the book you mentioned does have a few chapters written by
Deaf professionals, it would be nice to have more input from Deaf
professionals.

We at ASC hope to see more Deaf people as primary authors/editors of
psychology-related books in the near future. With more Deaf people working
in the field these days, hopefully, this will happen soon.