Thursday, July 26, 2007

In my Opinion, PSE is not a such thing.



During my '84 NWC of Gallaudet, As a new Deaf signer, I was pretty baffled by one of my friends who grew up in a small Deaf school. She told me she signs PSE which I had never heard. (I learned that later on). The Total communication (speech training, PSE, English, etc) was used in her school. Thru my childhood years, I had seen that words - "American Sign Language" thru the dictionary, articles, and etc. PSE? Nope ... Never seen or heard this before.

(Thanks to the well known woman Marie Philip who suddenly passed away a several years ago) That school now focuses on Bilingualism. What an experience! Based on my opinion, PSE is NOT a such thing. ASL must be perserved and precious!

1 comment:

Platonic's Eye said...

You are right about pse whichis no such thing, ASL is not broken English language or missing or no language that is myth! I am glad you brought up the valuable opinion about ASL and PSE in this vlog! I am fluet in ASL and writing in English so I am bilingual myself and I am not DOD, but I am DOH!